Did someone say modern and glamorous pillow covers? Yes, they did!
Pillows are the perfect way to add that extra pizzaz to your space. And using pillow covers makes it even more magical without you having to spend lots of money buying new pillow inserts or pillows all the time.
Here are some benefits of using pillow covers throughout your décor.
- You can change the entire theme of a room just by switching up the colors and textures of the pillow covers you use.
- It is more hygienic and reduces allergens – take off the covers, toss them in the wash and voilà you have a fresh set of covers.
- They help to keep your pillow inserts cleaner and bug free as they offer an additional protective layer.
- They are an instant mood changer. Try buying a new set - you get instantly happier. Suddenly you are singing along to the music in your head while changing your current pillow covers. Then you look around with a huge smile on your face and your home décor suddenly has a fresh look and feel. You just want to throw a party and invite everyone over!
- Show off your personality – if you are a nature lover or one who loves the quirky looks, or you are plain Jane, showing off your personality using your pillow cover selection will make for interesting conversations.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Pillow Décor
Pillow covers are like the icing on a cake; it is that finishing touch that brings everything together and makes everyone take a second look. Believe it or not however you can overdo it. Follow these simple guidelines and you should be fine.
- Do not overcrowd your chair / couch – you will not be able to sit in it if you do.
- Use pillow/cushion sizes that coordinate with the size of your couch – too small and it will look like a grain of sand in the ocean; too big and it will be the elephant in the room.
- Mix patterns with solids to break up the monotony - pick a color from the patterned pillow cover to use as the solid color.
- Always arrange your pillows from largest to smallest, starting from the edge (outside) of your sofa to the middle. Your smallest pillow should be in the center.
- When in doubt, use the “rule of three” method. Arrange your pillows in odd numbers. According to feng shui practitioners, using the rule of three method in decorating makes it more visually appealing and memorable, and it adds to the feng shui of your home. So, when adding pillows to your décor, consider doing it in 3s, 5s, 7s, etc.